Wednesday 8 August 2012

Wow! a sunny day

What a treat - a full day of sun with no rain and no wind! This must be one of the only decent days of the summer so far in sunny Scotland. So, of course, I couldn't wait to get out in the garden.

I have made good progress with the new perennial beds that should give fantastic cut flowers next season. This bed has been plagued with mares tail!. When we first bought the property I noticed this weed and, as the garden was completely overgrown, and I wasn't intending to get to that bit for at least a year I covered it with old carpets and left it covered for over 18 months. I eventually uncovered it last spring. It was beautifully clear and ready to plant.....2 weeks later- covered in mares tail! I tried everything that I could think of including (don't try this!) spraying it with diesel and setting it on fire. 1 week later back good as ever. I have finally found out that it will respond to glyphosate if the plant is hand crushed first. It is a painfully slow process but I am almost there I hope.

So I have planted up plenty of astrantia, delphinium, monarda and plenty of other favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment